Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I promise we're alive..

So whenever something happens in our family, I always have the greatest intentions to blog but those good intentions often don't materialize into much as you can tell by my lack of blogging. I hopefully will do much better this summer and document more. I don't know why I dont blog more, I find writing my thoughts and life happenings to be therapeutic in a way. Anyways, here are just a few things that have been happening lately in our crazy, oh so busy lives.

Carter is growing up so fast! I know every parent says that it feels like yesterday that their child was born. For me, my feelings aren't any different. He is growing, moving, and doing all kinds of new things. He has recently started saying "daddy" at random times and ironicly often yells out "ma ma" when he needs something or wants something.

Carter has also learned how to climb the stairs and loves to climb on anything and everything he can get his hands on. We've already had our moments of tumbles and falls. Just the other day, Carter climbed up and leaned on the gate that protects him from going down a set of stairs in our house. We'll I guess I failed to secure the gate tight enough and Carter ended of taking a tumble down the flight of stairs. Can we say horrible mom award? But, I'm quickly learning that he's a tough little kid and that he has little to no fear. He was right back to leaning up against the gate no less than a couple minutes later (with mom close behind this time).

Carter will turn 1 in a little over a month. I completely plan on being an over-the-top mom and making his cake out of fondant. Truth be told, its always been my dream to own my own baking/cake shop so now is a perfect time to practice those skills. Curious George is the theme and this is kind of the design I'm thinking of:

While is doesn't look extremely difficult, I think it will take some good practice beforehand. I just hope that it turns out.

Recently BJ took a trip to South Africa for his MBA. To finish his Masters, he needed to take a class that focused on international business. If there's one thing you have to know about BJ its that he LOVES animals so the minute he found out those going on the South Africa trip would also get to go on a safari, he was hooked. I originally was going to join him on the trip but the idea of spending all my vacation inside business instead of out touring the area didn't really appeal to be nor did it make me want to shell out $3000. Ironically, (and stupidly I might add..if stupidly is even a word), the trip left the weekend before Easter and so when they got to SA, they found that most of the business they were going to tour were closed. This meant that the class would have a majority of the time in SA to tour and do fun things they wanted to do. Needless to say, I was a little bummed hearing all the fun things he got to go and do but I was happy that he got to go. Here are some of the pics from his trip.




He swam with Great White Sharks.. so jealous!



Was able to pet adult cheetahs. The cheetah wasn't tranquilized, just asleep.


He was able to visit an orphanage while there. A bunch of the people in his class and BJ bought soccer balls to bring and give to the kids. I guess they just kick balled up trash around for fun. I told BJ that if he wanted to, he could bring one of them home!


Yeap, he was close to that giraffe. Again, I'm jealous..

Here he is visiting a lion exhibit. This 'baby' was only 3 months old.

While BJ was off have an adventure, I was here taking care of Carter. It actually wasn't as rough as I thought it would be but I was ready for him to be home.

So here's hopefully one of many posts to come. I'll post some South Carolina trip and Easter stuff soon. :)



2 comments:

Lori's Family said...

I'm glad you are on my browser. Glad to hear you are all doing well. I can't believe your baby is going to be a year old already. I just ran my first half marathon last weekend. Have you been running? Good luck with your cake:)

Marisa Jean said...

Woah! I did not expect to actually see an update. What a great surprise!

Jenn, that cake is to die for! You are such a great mom--my kiddo is lucky to get a run-of-the-mill cake. I can't wait to see the final product. And I want to have you and BJ over soon so we can hear about Africa! Love you guys!